IVF-ICSI TreatmentIVF treatment is the fertilization of sperm and oocyte outside the body. Robert G. Edwards pioneered IVF and the birth of the first 'test-tube baby' (Louise Brown) was in 1978 in England
The whole procedures used in IVF since 1971 underlied the recent IVF techniques. Turkey has been following the improvements and performing the latest techniques. First IVF baby was born in Turkey, in Ege University in 1989.
Latest Techniques in IVF TreatmentLatest techniques are based on the factors effect the success rate of IVF.
These improvements/techniques are;
• Micro TESE: Testicle biopsy performed under microscope
• PGD (Pre Implantation Genetic Diagnosis): In couples with genetic disorder, embryos are evaluated for their chromosomal structures and healthy embryos are chosen for transfer.
• Assisted Hatching: Thinning the zone of the embryo with laser
• Freezing Embryos, Oocytes and Sperms: Embryos, sperms and oocytes are frozen and kept to be used in the future.
• Embryoscope: Follow the development of embryos with a camera and select the embryo with the ideal development.
What are steps of IVF Treatment?1. First examination and evaluation of the couple:
The medical history, previous treatments, pregnancies and miscarriages etc are listened, medical reports, results are evaluated, if any.
- Any kind of surgery note
- Sperm analysis
- Blood tests
- Reports of the previous treatments
- HSG images and report
- Chromosome analysis (Karyotype)
- Reports for other medical problems
According to these information provided, IVF treatment is planned and determined when to start.
2. Stimulation of Ovaries
Hormone medications (injections) are used to stimulate the ovaries. Dose of the injections and duration are changed according to the ovarian reserve. It takes approximately 8-12 days.
3. Oocyte Pick Up
Oocytes are collected under general anesthesia. It lasts about 30 minutes. Man provides sperm sample. He masturbates or he is diagnosed with azospermia sperm is obtained by Micro TESE surgery. Man should have 2-4 days of sexual abstinence. It should not be longer than 7 days.
4. Performing ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
In ICSI, first cumulus cells around the oocyte are cleaned. Afterwards, oocyte is grasped with a pipette and a single sperm is injected into each MII (metaphase) oocyte with a very thin injection. Fertilization is checked within 16-18 hours. Fertilized oocytes are kept in incubators -which provide analogical environment like human body-, until embryo transfer within 2-5 days.
5. Embryo Transfer
Embryo transfer is performed within 2-6 days after Oocyte Pick Up. The fertilized oocytes are kept in laboratory until the transfer. Best 1-2 embryos are transferred with a catheter into woman’s uterus. It is a painless procedure which lasts about 5-10 minutes. Sexual intercourse is not advised until pregnancy test. Paracetamol groups can be taken as pain killers.
6. Pregnancy Test (Beta HCG)
Pregnancy test is done 12 days after the embryo transfer. Fasting is not necessary for Beta HCG test. If pregnancy occurs first examination is performed within 7-10 days. Patients who live outside the city or country may have their examination with their local doctor and inform us about the result. Since the first trimester is important supportive medications are continued until 12 weeks of pregnancy.